Support the Cucapah Struggle in Baja
by Manuel Tzunum Aparicio
Thursday March 22, 2007 at 04:23 PM
The Other Campaign at Cucapah El Mayor, Baja California
QuickTime movie at 2.3 mebibytes
The plight of the Cucapah from El Mayor is one of access to dwindling water sources, to be allowed to continue their millenary fishing activity in what is known as the Reserve of the Biosphere of the Upper Gulf of California and the Delta of the Colorado River, for a culturally relevant and fulfilling education for their children, for the legalization and protection of their land, as well as access to medical services to Cucapah El Mayor community. With a population of about 300 Cucapahs, they are facing the disappearance of their people off the face of the earth. They have now chosen to take a stance in claiming their right to exist as Cucapahs. Local, state, and federal agencies continue to ignore their demands and treat them as if they don’t exist. They have been discriminated as indigenous people while their rights continue to be restricted to the maximum, and for many years they have had no real social or economic growth in their community. The predator simply don’t think about El Mayor. In order to solve the historic problem of this continual violation of their fishing, land, cultural, economic, spiritual, and linguistic rights, The Cucapah People of El mayor are taking a stand on defense of their land and the survival of their people at Cucapah El Mayor, Baja California. As a result, a national/international encampment, aligned to the Other Campaign, is currently being established to support their struggle for survival (February-May 2007). This is a call for your support to the Cucapah struggle for self-determination, and ensure a sovereign future for the Cucapah people.
Photo: Manuel Tzunum
Friday, March 23, 2007
NEW! Censored News
- ► 2013 (982)
- ► 2012 (793)
- ► 2011 (861)
- ► 2010 (731)
- ► 2009 (532)
- ► 2008 (686)
- Desert Rock: Navajo grandmother asks 'Do you remem...
- Anne Frank at Bosque Redondo: So the world will re...
- America's Holocaust, American Indian Genocide Mus...
- O'odham Gather in Quitovac to Protect Sacred Place...
- UPDATED: Peltier, 'My Life is My Sundance' Theater...
- Canada's Military Plots War Crimes Against Indigen...
- Western Shoshone welcomed at Indigenous Summit in ...
- Rumsfeld torture case thrown out
- FOUND: Navajo boy missing in Arizona
- Racism: Houston Mayor Pro Tem Insults American Ind...
- Gold mining and secret hazardous dump threaten O'o...
- EPA blows whistle on Tohono O'odham officials over...
- Updated: Blood Money: Chiquita, Drummond coal and ...
- Native Roots CD Release Party
- Native Roots invitation
- Guatemala: Indigenous radio station denied accredi...
- Register to monitor Minutemen at the border
- Trespassing, the movie you didn't see at Sundance
- Desecration of Mato Paha (Bear Butte)
- Peltier theater review includes censored facts
- Mohawks block off disputed quarry
- Zapatista Comandantes Prepare for Northern Border
- Zapatistas' Other Campaign: Cucapa Fishing Rights
- Gila River: Toxic Racism Protest
- Iraq war protests lead to arrests throughout US
- United States Selling Indigenous Peoples' DNA
- TACOMA, Wash: Dennis Banks and "One Struggle"
- Nuclear Test Site: Reunion with Corbin
- Peter Coyote, circular giving on Hopiland
- Sacred Hoop: Celebrating Sacred Peaks
- Radioactive water near Hopi springs
- Cucapa carry out fishing rights
- Navajo Generating Station in Page among top 10 tox...
- White Mountain Apache chairman responds to Snowbow...
- Mohawks: Colonial Collapse of the Western Hemisphe...
- With a $25 million fine, Chiquita washes its hands...
- Indigenous World Water Day March 22
- Coal company linked to Chiquita death squads
- Katrina: Twisted relief went to Blackwater mercena...
- Desert Rock, dirty air and dirty tricks
- CERD presses for passage of Indigenous rights at U...
- Buffalo in Yelowstone Alert: Call Congessman
- Leonard Peltier West Coast Forum
- Congress investigates Yellowstone bison slaughter
- Southwest Climate Justice Summit in Flagstaff Marc...
- Alaska: Native Movement launches Indigenous leader...
- Canada scolded over Indigenous exploitation at UN
- Flagstaff: Celebration of Peaks Victory!
- Center for Biological Diversity: Court halts waste...
- Indigenous Action: Sacred Peaks Victory for Cultur...
- Derechos Humanos: Stop the Raids!
- Western Shoshone: Hold Canada's gold mining corpor...
- Sierra Club thanks Native activists and attorney
- Save the Peaks Celebration Phoenix
- Sierra Club: Federal court rules for tribes on sno...
- Salt River: Indigenous Peoples Day resolution
- Enron prosecutor takes on Navajo uranium cleanup
- Migrant apprehensions down, deaths up
- Derechos Humanos: Demilitarize border
- Navajos tired of politicans' power plant cheerlead...
- Navajo corn, Renzi and military intelligence
- Mohawk Nation News
- Concerts to save Oakland Intertribal Friendship Ho...
- Media Spin
- Carter Camp: Remembering Wounded Knee
- Geronimo's memorial site in the Gila
- Racism at the Northern and Southern Borders
- MacDonald: Where are the Navajo millionaires?
- Peltier's "My Life is My Sun Dance" Boulder
- Alaska: Red Oil says 'No' to Shell Oil
- ▼ March (70)