Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

June 25, 2023

MNN 'Interim Report: Missing Children and Unmarked Burials'

INTERIM REPORT: MISSING CHILDREN & UNMARKED BURIALS

 Mohawk Nation News

https://mohawknationnews.com/blog/2023/06/25/interim-report-missing-children-unmarked-burials/ 

MNN. June 18, 2023. Kimberly Murray BA, LL.B, IPC

“I am honoured to have been entrusted with being the Special Interlocutor… to support the work of Survivors and Indigenous communities to protect, locate, identify, repatriate, and commemorate the children who died while being forced to attend Indian Residential Schools”. 

.

 

Kimberly Murray BA, LL.B, IPC

She was appointed for two years as Independent Special Interlocutor for Missing Children and Unmarked Graves and Burial Sites associated with Indian Residential Schools. She is a member of the Kahnesatake Mohawk Nation.

THIS IS THE PODCAST of Ms. Murray presenting the Interim Report, “Sacred Responsibiility: Searching for the Missing Children & Unmarked Burials”.

Interim report on the search for missing children and unmarked burials | APTN News

THIS IS THE REPORT:

Part 6 of the report begins to lay the foundation for a new Reparations Framework to address the gaps and barriers within Canada’s current legal system, which is ill-equipped to provide accountability and justice for Indigenous Peoples in the face of genocide, colonial violence, and mass human rights violations. It defines an Indigenous-led process and explains why such a process is essential to the search and recovery of the missing children and unmarked burials. It concludes by outlining ten elements of reparations that will form the basis of the Final Report. Summaries are included throughout to illustrate the barriers communities are facing, as well as emerging Indigenous-led practices that have been applied to advance search and recovery work in accordance with Indigenous law and protocols. 

https://osi-bis.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/OSI_InterimReport_June-2023_WEB.pdf

Helen Reddy knows the energy of someone like Kimberly Murray:

I am woman, hear me roarIn numbers too big to ignoreAnd I know too much to go back an’ pretend‘Cause I’ve heard it all beforeAnd I’ve been down there on the floorAnd no one’s ever gonna keep me down again
Yes, I am wiseBut it’s wisdom born of painYes, I’ve paid the priceBut look how much I’ve gainedIf I have to, I can do anythingI am strong (strong)I am invincible (invincible)I am woman
Helen Reddy -  I Am Woman (Official 4K Video)
MNN Court Correspondent th***********@nt*.com 
Mohawk Nation News 
Box 991 kahnawake quebec J0L 1B0

 

 

No comments: