Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

October 10, 2020

Happi American Horse struggling with COVID-19



Article by Brenda Norrell

Censored News


Happi American Horse, who locked down at Standing Rock, has been struggling to survive coronavirus in ICU in a Sioux Falls hospital.  Happi's mother Cheryl Angel, who has recovered from the virus, shares her message.

Happi sends this update on Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2020:

“Hey everyone as you know last Tuesday I was in a flight for life to Sanford ICU Center here in Sioux Falls. I can't breathe on my own but finally, after who knows how many days it's been I have been transferred out of the ICU wing into a lower level. Although this is good news I am still not out of it and would like to thank everyone who shared and laid some prayers down for me. It means so much thanks for all the care you have shown and please continue to support! It's difficult for me to type at the moment and will leave that to others for more updates until I can do so on my own. I wish I could express more from my heart to yours but the heart has no tongue...oho mitakuye oyasin

In a video message on Facebook, Cheryl Angel sends thanks to everyone praying for her son Happi American Horse, who is hospitalized with COVID-19 and pneumonia. Happi is getting stronger.

Cheryl who has recovered from coronavirus said it is so difficult not to be with loved ones when they are sick. She describes how alone she felt when she was sick with the virus.

"I cried," she said.

"I prayed for energy."

Cheryl said Standing Rock changed her life.

In this two-week prayer vigil on Facebook live, Cheryl shares a song, "Water is Life." She reminds us that we have one another and to remember our friends and relatives who need help now more than ever.

Cheryl and Happi are Sicangu Lakota from Rosebud, South Dakota.

Broadcast live in 2016, Debra White Plume describes how the women cried to see how Happi suffered during this lockdown in defense of the water. 


Photos: Happi locked down during the resistance to the Dakota Access Pipeline at Standing Rock in 2016. Photo 2: Happi's mom Cheryl Angel sharing a video message today.

No comments: