Ruling out the Nuclear Option – Not Clean or Green
The Legacy of Nuclear Energy, Nuclear and Chemical Weapons Upon
US Indigenous & Communities of Color
We are communities that, in partnership with the Peace Development Fund, form the Building Action for Sustainable Environments Initiative (BASE). We are citizens who represent some of the communities in the US who bear the legacy of 50 years of nuclear energy and weapons production. We are indigenous nations, we are Latino citizens and farm-workers, and we are African American communities living near nuclear power and weapon production sites. Reducing and eliminating the wasteful and dangerous means of producing nuclear energy and bringing renewable green energy production and jobs to our communities are the goals in which our communities have a major stake.
Our communities suffer from diseases and illnesses that we contend are related to our exposure to the highly toxic processes of mining and milling uranium, the unsafe storage of radioactive materials and the lack of clean-up of sites and facilities, the transportation of highly radioactive waste through our communities, and the lack of safe disposal methods for highly deadly nuclear waste. Cancer, neurological damage, genetic damage, lung disease, respiratory disorders, lupus, and heart problems are among some of the illnesses that affect our communities.
Sunday, December 13, 2009
NEW! Censored News
- ► 2013 (982)
- ► 2012 (793)
- ► 2011 (861)
- ► 2010 (731)
- 'Goin' Native: Indian Comedy Slam' hit on Showtime...
- Mexican Editor Detained, Interrogated
- March to End Arpaio Reign of Terror
- US Hall of Shame
- Pregnant Anti-Mining Activist Assassinated in El S...
- Hate Crimes for Christmas
- Quanah Parker Brightman: Religious Persecution of ...
- Happy Holidays from Leonard Peltier
- Big Foot Memorial Ride
- More Photos 2009
- No Olympics on Stolen Land: Get Your Torch Off Our...
- Olympic Torch Detoured: No Olympics on Stolen Land...
- Censored News Snapshots 2009
- US Undermines Climate Talks with Bullying Tactics ...
- Tony Gonzales: Mexico City is next climate change ...
- Remembering the Children in Unmarked Graves
- Congratulations to Copenhagen Warriors
- Canadian author beaten by Border Patrol agents
- Copenhagen Summit: 'Nopenhagen' compared to Holoca...
- BIA Withdraws Permit for Desert Rock Power Plant
- Copenhagen Photos: Native Americans Demand Environ...
- Iraq & Afghanistan: Oil and drugs for US
- HADA'A SIDI to Fight Peabody Western Lease Agreeme...
- Earl Tulley: Notes from Copenhagen: 'We gave our b...
- Crow Creek leader in Day 10 of protest
- Interviews from Crow Creek
- Crow Creek Gains Support of Calif. Miwok
- Tulley's Notes from Copenhagen: Evo Morales
- Happy Holidays Censored News Readers
- Democracy Now! Indigenous March on Canadian Embass...
- Earl Tulley, Notes from Copenhagen II
- IEN: North American Indigenous Demand More in Cope...
- Bill Means: Trust Fund Settlement Rip-off
- Climate Protesters Scale Canadian Embassy and Defa...
- LIVE From Crow Creek
- Earl Tulley, Navajo: Notes from Copenhagen
- Ruling out the Nuclear Option -- Not Clean or Gree...
- Ben Powless Photos: The Peoples Climate March
- Cobell Settlement Overlooks Breaches of US Trust f...
- Copenhagen: Youth Climate Movement
- VIDEO Gwich'in Sarah James: Protect the Arctic
- Indigenous Peoples Prayers and Protest in Copenhag...
- Obama Administration Approves Oil Drilling in Arct...
- Indigenous Peoples protest at US Embassy Copenhage...
- LISTEN: Big Mountain Message to Copenhagen
- US Coyote at Work: Trust Fund Settlement Scam
- North American Indigenous Call For Strong Climate ...
- Prayer Ceremony at Crow Creek Sioux Land
- Doctors threaten to resign in mass over uranium mi...
- Censored News Dec. 5, 2009
- The News Revolution
- Arrogant Canadian mining company says it is above ...
- Roots of Resistance, Oakland, Dec. 11, 2009
- AP's Fonseca is lobbying for Peabody Coal again
- EPA Withdraws Water Permit for Peabody Coal Black ...
- Breaking News: Western Shoshone, Black Mesa and Cr...
- Western Shoshone prevail at Ninth Circuit on gold ...
- Zapatistas: In the Language of Love
- Mohawk Splitting the Sky: Arresting Bush for war c...
- San Francisco Tonight: 'The Battle for Whiteclay'
- Canada's Nazi border guards
- Navajo Relocation Hearings
- Update on Bear Butte Hearing
- No Olympics on Stolen Land
- Chiapas Anti-Mining Activist Murdered
- Berkeley: Prayers and fast for return of Native re...
- ▼ December (67)
- ► 2008 (686)