Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights 2020

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Navajo Nation reports 63 new cases and 48 deaths, as coronavirus claims lives of Dineh

Jon Morton shares the tragic story of the death of his mother Ruby and
brother Joseph in Page, Arizona, from coronavirus. Both had attended the rally
of the Nazarene Church in Chilchinbeto on the Navajo Nation.
Read article in Phoenix New Times


Jean DeJolie died March 31 after testing positive for COVID-19. She served as a Navajo Mountain, Utah, chapter official. 
Her son Douglas died on March 26. The family could find no hel.
Both died from coronavirus linked to the rally of the Nazarene Church in Chilchinbeto.
.

By Navajo President's Office
Censored News

63 new COVID-19 cases and 48 total deaths on the Navajo Nation reported

WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — The Navajo Department of Health in coordination with the Navajo Epidemiology Center and the Navajo Area Indian Health Service, reported 63 new cases of COVID-19 and a total of 48 deaths for the Navajo Nation as of Tuesday – these numbers do not include cases for border towns as was being previously reported by the Navajo Epidemiology Center.

As of Tuesday, the total number of positive COVID-19 cases for the Navajo Nation is 1,206, which includes 569 men and 637 women with an average age of 48-years-old. The average age among deaths is 65-years-old.

The 1,206 confirmed positive cases on the Navajo Nation include the following counties: Navajo County, AZ: 328; Apache County, AZ: 240; Coconino County, AZ: 214; McKinley County, NM: 244; San Juan County, NM: 121;  Cibola County, NM: 14; San Juan County, UT: 15; Socorro County, NM: 17; Sandoval County, NM: 13

During a live online town hall on Tuesday, Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez and Vice President Myron Lizer thanked the Navajo people for complying with the Navajo Nation-wide shelter-in-place order and urged everyone to continue honoring the order although the Navajo Epidemiology Center stated in a report on Monday that “there does appear to be a flattening of the Navajo Nation epi curve.

“Now is not the time to let up! To all residents of the Navajo Nation, please continue to stay home as much as possible and to honor the shelter-in-place order that’s in effect. There is still a lot that we don’t know about COVID-19 and we don’t want a second wave to hit our communities. In some states, people are beginning to protest stay-at-home orders, but it is far too early to begin considering fully reopening commerce, government, and establishments. We need more testing, more prevention efforts, and more resources to continue fighting the virus,” said President Nez.

On Monday, Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez and Vice President Myron Lizer presented the State of the Navajo Nation Address live online and on KTNN 660AM, in which they focused on the many proactive measures that the Navajo Nation has implemented under their leadership. Many of the measures began nearly two months prior to the Navajo Nation’s first confirmed COVID-19 case on March 17.

On Jan. 26, the Nez-Lizer Administration issued its first public warning of the virus and followed up with seven Public Health Emergency Orders that include a Nation-wide shelter-in-place order,

“Let’s keep working together and praying together. Through combined efforts and through our faith, the Navajo people will beat the virus eventually, but it’s been a challenging road so far. Our first responders are out working for us, so let’s stay home for them. Our prayers and our appreciation for our health care workers and everyone on the frontlines is never-ending. Let’s keep the positive momentum going so we can overcome COVID-19 sooner than later,” said Vice President Lizer.

During the online town hall, President Nez and Vice President Lizer also stated that a new Executive Order is being developed to continue requiring non-essential Navajo Nation employees within the Executive Branch to remain home to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“We are beginning to see good signs, but we are not out of the woods by any means. We still have many people who are sick and in need of care. We are continuing to lose lives and it’s devastating for us all, especially for their loved ones. Let’s continue fighting the virus together by staying home as much as possible and praying for our health care workers and first responders” said Vice President Lizer.

For more information including reports, helpful prevention tips, and more resources, please visit the Navajo Department of Health’s COVID-19 website at http://www.ndoh.navajo-nsn.gov/COVID-19. To contact the main Navajo Health Command Operations Center, please call (928) 871-7014.

Navajo Nation extends closure of government until May 17 to reduce the spread of COVID-19

WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — On Tuesday, Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez and Vice President Myron Lizer issued Executive Order 003-20, extending the declaration of a state of emergency and extending the closure of Navajo Nation government offices and related entities until May 17, to help slow and reduce the spread of COVID-19 on the Navajo Nation. The previous Executive Order was set to expire on April 26.


“We’re not letting our guard down – now is not the time. We’re seeing a slight flattening of the curve, but we have to remain vigilant. As the leaders of the Navajo Nation, we are doing everything we can to help save as many lives as possible. Government offices will be closed, but essential personnel will continue their duties and essential government functions will continue,” said President Nez.

The written Order states, “All Navajo Nation Divisions, Departments, Programs, Offices, non-governance certified Chapters, Enterprises, and Navajo casinos shall follow the direction of the Public Health Emergency Orders requiring all Navajo citizens to limit their movement which means staying at home and leaving for Essential Activities only; and comply with the curfew hours by staying home between the house of 8:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. MDT and complying with weekend or other curfew hours.”

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now warning the public that there could be a second wave of COVID-19 this coming winter, which could be very devastating combined with the regular flu season. So, we need to remain diligent in practicing social distancing and by remaining home as much as possible. Our frontline warriors are out there fighting to protect and heal us, so let’s stay home for them,” Vice President Lizer stated.

The Navajo Nation’s shelter-in-place order remains in effect as well as the daily curfew from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. The Navajo Nation will also implement another 57-hour weekend curfew beginning on Friday at 8:00 p.m. until Monday at 5:00 a.m. President Nez and Vice President Lizer encourage everyone to prepare for the weekend curfew to ensure they have enough essential items, but to use caution as they prepare and to only send one family member to purchase items.

For more information including reports, helpful prevention tips, and more resources, please visit the Navajo Department of Health’s COVID-19 website at http://www.ndoh.navajo-nsn.gov/COVID-19. To contact the main Navajo Health Command Operations Center, please call (928) 871-7014.

No comments:

About Censored News

Censored News is published by Brenda Norrell. Since 2006, Censored News has received more than 20 million pageviews. As a collective of writers, photographers and broadcasters, we publish news of Indigenous Peoples and human rights. Contact publisher Brenda Norrell: brendanorrell@gmail.com

Donate to Censored News



Please donate to Censored News for travel and equipment for our live coverage. Thank you, Brenda.