Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

November 9, 2021

Extractive Industries, Violent Police, Responsible for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women


Extractive Industries, Violent Police, Responsible for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women

Brenda Norrell
Censored News
Twitter video: https://twitter.com/i/status/1458180263763132424

GLASGOW, Scotland -- It is the gold mines, diamond mines and extractive industries that are responsible for disappearing Indigenous women. They are being stolen as a result of capitalism, colonialism and earth extraction, Siiam Hamilton said at an action of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women at COP26 today.

"That violence is inseparable from capitalism and colonialism, and what the British empire has done to our community."

"Look at my face and remember it, it is a responsibility now that they have seen me. If I go missing -- its not if, its when -- in our communities. When I go missing, come look for me. Our lives matter."

"I see police all over this city. They remind me of the police in Canada and how much violence the police in Canada produce. And how much violence these cops here in Glasgow produce because they stand for white supremacy. They stand for extraction. They protect capitalism and they protect colonialism!"


Ashley Fairbanks, said on Twitter, "At today’s #MMIW action, Sii-am Hamilton gave the most powerful testimony I’ve ever seen. Hearing her speak made my entire trip to #COP26 worth it."

No comments: