Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

October 22, 2012

'Our Friend' Leonard Peltier remembers Russell Means



Leonard's Statement for Russell Means
 
By Leonard Peltier
Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee
Censored News
http://www.bsnorrell.blogspot.com
Oct. 22, 2012

Greetings my relatives and friends

I wish I was there to talk with you in person and share with you the sorrow that I feel with the passing of Russell Means, my brother, my friend, and inspiration on many levels. Russell Means will always be an icon whenever the American Indian Movement is spoken of and whenever people talk about the changes that took place, the changes that are taking place now for Indian people.

One thing about Russell I always remembered, and I think someone else once said it, you may have loved him, or you may have disliked him, but you couldn't ignore him. I'll always remember when an elder said one time, I was at a ceremony and I asked what this half shaped moon circle on the ground meant, and he said it was a symbol of the circle of life, the never ending of the circle of life, and I said there is only half a circle, and he said the other half was unseen, it is the spirit world. For Indian people it never ends, we don't have a linear existence, so I know I will see Russell again, and I take comfort in that thought. For men like Russell Means don't come along in a lifetime very often. He was truly an inspiration for all of us younger guys at the time. He had good words to say, he was eloquent when he spoke them, and he spoke English as clearly and precisely and as articulate as any one I have ever heard speak. And he knew what he was talking about. And I know all of you out there, as well as myself, will always remember our friend, our brother and fellow activist, and how he stood with us to recapture the freedoms we've lost, and protect the ones that we still have, and bring about a better future for our people, and all people of this Mother Earth, who's nature is in peril.

I really don't know what else to say about our brother Russell, other than to Russell himself, "We'll see you again my brother Russell, in some other time and in some other place, we will always be your friend, and we will always look forward to seeing your face. Mitakuye Oyasin."

In the spirit of Crazy Horse, and Russell Means.

I'll close for now.

Leonard Peltier


Russell Means will be honored in Kyle, South Dakota, on Wed., Oct. 24, 2012, during the first of four gatherings.
http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2012/10/russell-means-solidarity-with.html

No comments: