Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Ayotzinapa Evidence Goes Missing



Editor’s Note: Frontera NorteSur still has a few more stories to go before ceasing publication. In today’s story, we report news that crucial evidence in the mass disappearance of the Ayotzinapa college students in Mexico last year was lost, hidden or destroyed.

August 18, 2015

Human Rights News

Ayotzinapa Evidence Goes Missing


By Frontera NorteSur
Censored News
English with Dutch translation by Alice Holemans, NAIS Gazette


Reminiscent of the Ciudad Juarez women’s murders and disappearances, evidence related to a bloody police attack on Mexican college students has been lost, destroyed or withheld from relatives.


The revelations were made by the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI) reviewing the killings of six people and the mass kidnappings of 43 students of the Ayotzinapa rural teachers’ college in Iguala, Guerrero, at the hands of local police and alleged drug cartel gunmen last September 26 and 27.


In a Mexico City press conference held to report on the progress of its probe, the GIEI disclosed that clothing found on buses transporting the students who were attacked was gathered by the Office of the Federal Attorney General (PGR) but not made known or available to relatives of the students and their lawyers.


“There was no specific recording or processing of it,” the GIEI said. “In the opinion of the group, this a grave fact from the point of view of the investigation as well as the importance it has for family members.”


The GIEI, which was established by the Washington, D.C.-based Inter-American Commission on Human Rights to ensure an independent probe into the Ayotzinapa atrocity, further revealed that video footage depicting the detention of the students was possibly destroyed.


“According to testimonies given to the (GIEI), such videos existed and were sent to the presidency of the (legal) Tribunal,” the GIEI said. “Nonetheless, it seems that such videotaped records were destroyed. If this is confirmed, (videos) could be lost for the investigation of the facts. This matter should be immediately investigated by the PGR.”


The GIEI is made up of prominent international legal, forensic and human rights specialists, including former Guatemalan Attorney General Claudia Paz y Paz.  The GIEI’s current investigative mandate expires by early September, but proposals are in the air to keep the group functioning for a longer period of time.


Additionally, the GIEI criticized the Mexican federal government for not allowing it to conduct face-to-face interviews with more than two dozen Mexican soldiers who were on the scene during the violent events of the so-called Night of Iguala. The Pena Nieto administration offered to forward written questions to the soldiers, but the GIEI said it rejected the offer on the grounds that such a format would not permit rigorous questioning.


Felipe de la Cruz, spokesman for the Ayotzinapa relatives, reacted to news of the GIEI’s findings by saying they only sow more “doubts and lack of confidence” about the official version of the Iguala violence against the students, which  holds that the 43 missing students were all murdered and then burned to ashes shortly after their abductions.


“With the proof we have available we don’t have evidence that the (students) are alive, just as we don't have evidence about their fate...,” said GIEI member Carlos Beristain, who is a doctor from Spain.


In separate comments, de la Cruz insisted that members of the army’s 27th battalion stationed in Iguala must be investigated for their possible participation in the attacks against the students last fall.


Dialogue, however, is underway among the Pena Nieto administration, Ayotzinapa parents and the GIEI to involve independent experts such as the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team in performing a second autopsy on murdered student Julio Cesar Mondragon Fuentes, and in examining the clothing recovered from the buses that carried the forcibly disappeared students.


At a meeting last week between Mexican Interior Minister Miguel Angel Osorio Chon and Ayotzinapa parents, the Mexican federal government pledged to redouble the search for the students, according to de la Cruz.


Meantime, Ayotzianapa relatives and their supporters plan to rekindle their justice movement with major protests set for August 26 and September 26, the first anniversary of the attack on the students. The first protest will follow a 48-hour national teachers’ strike called forAugust 24, at the very beginning of the new school, which is likely to raise the cause of Ayotzinapa as among the educators’ primary grievances.


Gaining momentum, rolling teacher protests already underway in the state of Oaxaca have been answered by the state and federal governments with the deployment of thousands of police and soldiers.


Sources: El Sur, August 18, 2015. Article by Lourdes Chavez. La Jornada (Guerrero edition), August 18, 2015.  Articles by Sergio Ocampo and Luciano Tapia. Proceso/Apro, August 17, 2015. Articles by Gloria Leticia Diaz and Ezequiel Flores Contreras. La Jornada, August 15, 16 and 18, 2015.  Articles by Jorge A. Perez and other correspondents, Jose Antonio Roman and Luis Hernandez Navarro.

Frontera NorteSur: on-line, U.S.-Mexico border news
Center for Latin American and Border Studies
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Home » Nieuws » * Bewijsstukken in de Ayotzinapa verdwijningen verloren

* Bewijsstukken in de Ayotzinapa verdwijningen verloren

Door: Frontera NorteSur
Vertaald door NAIS (with permission from Benda Norrell): www.denaisgazet.be
Frontera NorteSur heeft nog een paar verhalen voor zij moeten stoppen met publiceren.
Vandaag brengen zij het feit dat cruciale bewijsstukken in de massaverdwijningen van de Ayotzinapa studenten in Mexico verloren, verduisterd of vernietigd werden.
18 augustus 2015

Zoals met de moorden en verdwijningen van de vrouwen van Ciudad Juarez, zijn nu ook bewijsstukken van de bloederige politieaanvallen op de Mexicaanse studenten verloren, vernield of achtergehouden voor de families.

Die openbaringen werden gemaakt door de ‘Interdisciplinay Group of Independent Experts’ (GIEI).
Die groep onderzocht de moorden van zes mensen en de massale kidnappings van 43 studenten van het ‘Ayotzinapa rural Teachers college’ in Iguala, Guerrero; gepleegd door de lokale politie en vermoedelijk gewapende gangsters van de drug cartels op 26 en 27 september 2014.

Tijdens een persconferentie in Mexico City over het verloop van het onderzoek onthulde het GIEI dat kledingstukken, die gevonden werden op de bussen die de studenten vervoerden, aangeslagen werden door het ‘Office of the Federal Attorney General (PGR)’ en niet vrijgegeven worden aan de familie en hun advocaten.

“Er staat ook niets van vermeld in de verslagen,” verklaarde de GIEI.
“De groep is van mening dat dit een zwaar feit is tegen het belang van het onderzoek en pijnlijk voor de familie.”

De GIEI werd opgericht door de ‘Inter-American Commissio on Human Rights,’ Washington DC, om een onafhankelijk onderzoek in de Ayotzinapa gruwel te garanderen.
Zij zeggen ook dat het videomateriaal waarop de aanhoudingen van de studenten werd vastgelegd waarschijnlijk vernietigd is.

“ Volgens de getuigenissen die GIEI verzamelde moeten er videofilms bestaan en werden ze naar de voorzitter van het (legal) tribunaal gezonden. Maar hoe dan ook, het lijkt erop dat het videomateriaal vernietigd is. Wanneer dit bevestigd wordt zijn de video’s onherroepelijk verloren voor het onderzoek. Dit moet onmiddellijk onderzocht worden door de PGR.”

De GIEI groep bestaat uit prominente internationale juridische, forensische en mensenrechten specialisten, waaronder ook de procureur van Guatemala Claudia Paz y Paz. Het mandaat van de GIEI vervalt begin september, maar voorstellen worden ingediend om de groep langer te laten functioneren.

De GIEIE gaf ook kritiek op de Mexicaanse federale regering die hen niet toestond om de Mexicaanse soldaten, die tijdens de gewelddadige gebeurtenissen in de Nacht van Iguala aanwezig waren te verhoren.
De Pena Nieto administratie had aangeboden om geschreven vragen door te sturen naar de soldaten, maar de GIEI heeft dit geweigerd op grond dat dit geen ernstig verhoor zou zijn.

Felipe de la Cruz, woordvoerder voor de Ayotzinapa verwanten, reageerde op de GIEI bevindingen met te zeggen dat dit nog meer “twijfels en wantrouwen schept” over de officiële versie van het Iguala geweld tegen de studenten, die vasthouden dat al de 43 studenten, direct na hun aanhouding, vermoord en tot as verbrand werden.
“ Met dat wat we hebben kunnen we niet bewijzen dat de studenten nog in leven zijn, en we hebben geen enkel bewijs over hun lot...,” zei GEIE lid Carlos Beristain, een Spaanse dokter.

Felipe de la Cruz stond erop dat mogelijke deelname aan de aanval op de studenten van de leden van het 27ste bataljon die gestationeerd waren in Iguala onderzocht moet worden.

Hoe dan ook, gesprekken tussen de Pena Nieto regering, ouders van de studenten en de GIEIE zijn onderweg om onafhankelijke deskundigen zoals het Argentijnse Forensisch Antropologisch team erbij te betrekken; om een tweede autopsie op de vermoorde student Julio Cesar Mondragon Fuentes uit te voeren en om de kleding van de studenten te onderzoeken die in de bussen gevonden werden.

Volgens de la Cruz heeft de Mexicaanse Federale regering vorige week, tijdens een vergadering met Miguel Angel Osorio Chon,de Mexicaanse minister van Binnenlandse zaken, en de Ayotzinapa ouders plechtig beloofd om het onderzoek naar de studenten te verdubbelen.

Ondertussen willen de Ayotzinapa verwanten en hun supporters hun beweging voor gerechtigheid nieuw leven inblazen door grote protesten op 26 augustus en 26 september, de eerste verjaardag van de aanval op de studenten.
Bij het begin van het nieuwe schooljaar op 24 september zullen leerkrachten een 48- uren staking uitroepen.
Protesten van leerkrachten die reeds aan gang zijn in de staat van Oxaca werden reeds door staat en federale regeringen beantwoord met het inzetten van duizenden politie en soldaten.

Sources: El Sur, August 18, 2015. Article by Lourdes Chavez. La Jornada (Guerrero edition), August 18, 2015.  Articles by Sergio Ocampo and Luciano Tapia. Proceso/Apro, August 17, 2015. Articles by Gloria Leticia Diaz and Ezequiel Flores Contreras. La Jornada, August 15, 16 and 18, 2015.  Articles by Jorge A. Perez and other correspondents, Jose Antonio Roman and Luis Hernandez Navarro.

Frontera NorteSur: on-line, U.S.-Mexico border news
Center for Latin American and Border Studies
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico


Commentaar van Censored News
Brenda Norrell:
Dit is een van de laatste zwanenzangen van Fronte NorteSur.
Deze publicaties van aan de grens zijn hun subsidies kwijt.
Dit gebeurde ongeveer op dezelfde tijd dat de aanvallen op Censored News begonnen.
Eerst was er het ‘takedown’ bevel van Google Blogger, het artikel over de Anonymous activist die vermoord werd door de Canadese politie tijdens het verdedigen van de Treaty 8 Rights tegen Site C dam in BC.
Dan kwam er de dreiging van een rechtszaak vanwege Peter Philips, Project Censored aan Sonoma Univ, Calif., die denkt dat de woorden ‘censored’ en ‘news’ zijn eigendom zijn.
Zoals u ziet, het verlies van subsidies, bedreigingen en intimidatie maken allemaal deel uit van censuur, controle en manipulatie door hen die denken dat ze de macht hebben!

1 comment:

brendanorrell@gmail.com said...

Comment from Censored News: This is one of the final swan's songs of Frontera NorteSur. This great publication on the border recently lost its funding. This was at the same time that the attacks began on Censored News. These attacks include a takedown order from Google Blogger on the article about the Anonymous member murdered by Canadian police who was defending Treaty 8 rights against Site C dam in BC. Then, there was the threat of a lawsuit from Peter Phillips, Project Censored at Sonoma Univ, Calif, who thinks he owns the words 'censored news.' This comes after Project Censored gave Censored News an award in 2008. As you can see, the loss of funding, threats and intimidation, are all part of censoring, controlling and manipulating the news by those who think they have power.

Censored News PayPal


Thanks for reading Censored News for the past 10 years! I've depleted all my funds to keep Censored News going. Please donate to help provide Internet access for Censored News! Censored News has no advertising, grants or sponsors, and depends on reader donations! Thank you! Brenda Norrell, PMB 132, 405 E Wetmore Rd, Ste 117, Tucson, Ariz. 85705 brendanorrell@gmail.com