Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights

November 4, 2011

Occupy Vancouver Photos by Arlene Bowman







Photos by Navajo photographer Arlene Bowman
Censored News
VANCOUVER, B.C. -- Navajo filmmaker and photographer Arlene Bowman shares her photos of Occupy Vancouver. "I saw this yesterday, I was impressed by their signs. It was cold there. Their signs were outstanding. These guys were playing music and all geared for this Occupy Vancouver. I liked it alot. I felt welcomed there even though I know people were suspicious of people taking pics. But the fact that I was Indigenous made a difference.  I felt people were welcoming to me. Cool. I felt like was back at ASU or San Francisco, Calif., in those times. I know when people don't like me and don't want me to be there," Bowman said.
Photos published with permission at Censored News.
Dine' filmmaker and photographer Arlene Bowman was born on the Navajo Nation and grew up in Phoenix, Arizona. She now lives in Vancouver. She completed her master's degree in film at the University of California at Los Angeles. She is the producer of "Navajo Talking Picture," about her grandmother in Greasewood, Arizona. The film, which is popular in international film festivals, reveals the challenges for a Navajo going home. Bowman also produced "Song Journey," which was shown on PBS, about pow-wows and women drummers at pow-wows. Bowman's new film, "Graffiti" was among those at the French film festival, Festival International Du Film D'Amiens in 2010. In this short narrative, a woman rebounds from injustice by writing about racist graffiti targeting Indians and sprayed throughout Vancouver.

No comments: