Sunday, March 6, 2011

Meet Native Youth Long Walker Ellyn Carlson

Ellyn Carlson is on the Longest Walk 3, northern route
Censored News
http://www.bsnorrell.blogspot.com
Photo: Ellyn speaks to Nez Perce students in Lapwai, Idaho/Photo Long Walk northern route
Ellyn tells Censored News
"I'm 20 years old, I come from Tacoma, Washington. This is my first Longest Walk participation. I was asked to join back around November by Treeza Fernandez during a Native American Student Union club meeting at Tacoma Community College. I honestly hadn't heard too much about it up until then. I was sponsored by Treeza. I am going in her place, as she was injured in the past and it has disallowed her to be able to join again.
I am Okanagan, Spokane, and San Poel. I was raised in the city, and have grown up immersed in the variety of different cultures within the Pacific Northwest. I went to Tacoma School of the Arts during my high school years, where it taught me the importance of keeping an open mind and learning more about worldly issues. I participated in this walk because I feel like there are often ignored issues within our country that are consistently being swept under rugs. I want to learn more about my heritage, I want to travel and become a better person; someone who is able to see with eyes unclouded. My own family and friends are not only affected by diabetes, but by other illnesses. I do this to pray for them. I sacrifice five months and miles for them.
Not only all of that, but the excitement of seeing where forces beyond my power are able to take me, it's become something I live by.
My perspective and outlook on life is changing. It's weird because somehow I feel like I expected this would happen, but I just wasn't sure of the impact. It's a little complicated. Being part of something like this just makes you feel more alive, you know?"
-- Ellyn Carlson, on the Longest Walk 3 in Missoula, Montana, March 6, 2011

No comments:

Censored News PayPal



Censored News depends on reader donations for live coverage. brendanorrell@gmail.com

Censored News Copyrights

Copyrights of Censored News content are maintained by all writers, photographers and anyone whose work appears on Censored News. No content may be used without permission. No content may be used in any revenue scheme. brendanorrell@gmail.com